What's Popular?

Friday 27 March 2015

Five baby steps to a better you!


Hello lovelies. 
Over the past few weeks I've been trying to better myself, health wise mainly but mentally too, and I've been thinking of little things I could do for myself to be happier, healthier and feel better about life overall and motivated. So here's my five baby steps that I've been trying to take at least every day. 

Make a playlist
The first thing I did was make a playlist of happy, motivating songs. Songs that get me dancing in the morning when getting ready for college or something I can listen to when doing assignments. 
Here's a few of the songs featured on my 'happy' playlist:

Pharrel Williams- Happy
Mark Ronson FT Bruno- Uptown Funk 
T.I Ft Rihanna- Live your life
Calvin Harris- Pray to God
Maroon 5- Sugar
Ariana Grande- One Last Time
One Direction- Live while we're young (yes...it's on there)

Read a book
I used to be a really big reader but I stopped reading for a year or two for god knows what reason, so I've been playing catch up with all the books that have been released. At the moment I'm reading Looking for Alaska by John Green. Its my second time reading this as I couldn't really remember much from the book after the first time round other then crying a little bit. 

My advice, pick up a book, even if you're not a big reader, you can buy short novels or go to the library and get them for free, even if you just read a few chapters it's bound to relax your mind. Read an actual book though, none of this iPad and kindle stuff. Which comes to my next part..

Social Media Ban Hour
So every day I've banned myself from social media for one hour at least. I think this has been the most helpful thing I have started doing. My life revolves around media, my chosen career, my friends I talk to them through social media and everything in my life is technology based, so for at least one hour a day, I've gotten up to five at the most may I add, but for at least one hour a day I turn my phone off and just read my book or watch a show I love. 

Try it for one hour, turn off everything that connects you to the Internet and just watch an old DVD or read a book, I swear you'll feel so refreshed after such a short time. I'm working on making it a day and soon a weekend and then a week during summer to detox my mind. 

Watch something you love
I love Disney and Netflix and watching TV shows on loop, which can also fry your mind. I have been binge watching a lot lately, which I must stop, but I just can't because all my favourite programmes I need to catch up on. It isn't a bad thing at the same time, as long as I find balance, which I'm working on. 

Find a TV show that makes you laugh or cry or shocks you or a film that makes you feel good and just sit down when you have a free hour, when you're locked out of social media and just watch it and actually laugh. Not this half laugh thing we all do because we're too busy scrolling through facebook and watching a vine..really laugh!

Walk more
As I've changed my eating habits and diet and I'm working on bettering myself, I've also began walking more, I was at least once a week for a pro-longed amount of time. Of course I'm walking everyday but that's to a destination, the only destination I have on my own 'walks' is to walk until I feel like I've cleared my head, exercised enough and feel good. Fresh air is great to calm down after a hectic day. 
There's a difference between walking somewhere and going on a walk, remember that, so you may be walking all day but over thinking of everything you have to do, so going on a walk is nice. 

There's five little things I've been trying to do everyday day or at least three times a week. 

Let me know below what you do to relax and calm down and make yourself happier.

For a more in-depth look at how I'm making my life happier and healthier and how you can do the same check out 'My Happy, Healthy and Hilarious Life'.

Kisses,
Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment